We all need motivation to help us get started on and complete a task.
- Studying in the same place at the same time: this creates the habit of studying.
- Keep your work area tidy: clear the clutter from your desk and you’ll clear the clutter from your mind.
- Begin positively: recite something you already learned or look at a test result you’re proud of and this will boost your confidence and spur you on.
- Complete tasks: have a to-do list and tick off tasks as you go along. It will make you feel good about achieving.
- Keep planning: keep planning what you will do today, tomorrow, next week. You’ll feel organised and on top of things.
- Use a motivation sign: write up a goal you want to achieve and you’ll be reminded to keep aiming for it.
- Share problems: discuss difficulties with friends so you don’t feel isolated or stupid.
- Study with a friend: this can make you do the work!
- Reward yourself: this gives you something to aim for at the end of your study session.
For more study tips, read Shortcuts to Success: Study and Exam Skills for Leaving Certificate by Irene Togher.